Thursday, June 7, 2012

Patriarchy is not about religion but the mindset

When I was naive, I thought only religion makes some men patriarchal. After all, the first time I rejected god was when I was eleven and I realized the inequality between men and women was a sign that god was not a women or a neutral being. However, as I grew up and interacted with many non-religious men, I was shocked to discover that some men can be patriarchal with or without religion. Being an atheist, agnostic or a freethinker does not make much of a difference. For many years I tried to work among these atheist/agnostic men, hoping things will improve. However, instead of any improvement, it seems things are only deteriorating at a breakneck speed. Here is an example from the group called PAA:


The names and pictures have been removed due to privacy reasons

Here is another beautiful example from the same group which I tweeted on February 12, 2012:

Name on this image was not hidden as it is a fake profile on FB


I want to add that my point of view as a women was also shouted down because 'women are emotional', 'over sensitive' and 'lack sense of humor'. And before anybody wants to raise a finger at me for not standing my ground to continue fighting. Being an online warrior was never my aim.

I have many such examples stalked up, but I don't have the time or energy to upload each and everyone of them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment